10 Jun 2014

Whimsical Earthling: An Introduction

You're possibly wondering about the name 'Whimsical Earthling', well, for one, I felt the inordinate pressure that comes with choosing a name for the blog. Everything normal was taken and alternatives required a sequence of unfathomable numbers after it, which felt, quite obviously, pointless.
I would never remember them anyway.

Whimsical was the first word that didn't relate to my name, that came to me.
I find it a lovely, playful word; it makes me think of secret gardens and dancing faeries, of Beatrix Potter and Peter Rabbit, and all things lovely to do with nature.
As with all things lovely to do with nature, you also get the changeability, the ferocious beating of drums in a thunder storm; the flash floods, the hurricanes and hail storms.
Whimsical is volatile, temperamental and unpredictable. Whimsical is playful, endearing and curious.

Earthling refers to all life on earth. Quite simply, all of us.
By us, I include Flora, Fauna and Merryweather (they're not just Disney characters).

This leads me on to why I'm starting this blog.
This blog amongst blogs.
Amongst millions of blogs.
Lurking in the hidden realms of the internet.

I have things to say that not all my Facebook friends appreciate (or indeed, care about) and things that exceed my 140 Twitter characters.
You'll see (as my lecturers did), I have an issue with word counts. I have a habit of rambling, discovering a tangent and finding out where it leads me. Its a curious trail, that includes stepping out of boxes and leading me down paths I probably shouldn't have followed.


There's normally an effervescent dragonfly and a giant net involved. 


Even if this blog only reaches one person (Hi Mum), my meanderings and brainfarts are out there.
Do with them what you wish, but understand where I come from first.
My views and opinions are my own. I will try my best to justify everything I have to say. You may not agree with my points, I don't expect you to but please remember, I may not agree with yours.

This is a blog about nature and conservation. 

I will write about the evils that men (and women. and possibly some horrid kids) do.
I will write about the truly magical things that conservationists and wildlife guardians do too.

Some things I will write will be in direct response to my current local area and country (Cheshire, UK).
I will include things about countries I've visited and countries I haven't yet.

I will first and foremost talk about the conservation of nature, regardless of its political boundaries.

I will discuss the poaching crisis, why trophy hunting is not conservation (despite what trophy hunters say), the unethical and un-eco aspects of eco-tourism (and its wonderfully green alternatives).

I will discuss the wonderments of conservation - like Rewilding Europe and United for Wildlife. I will talk about how wonderful conservation is and why we all need to play our part and why its so important to all of us.
I will discuss climate change, sustainability and renewable energies, capacity building, community conservation and connectivity conservation.
Most of what I will write will be in reference to a new bit of information I have discovered. If its a slow news day (this won't be daily!) then I will discuss a subject that is an on-going cause.
I will also talk about the things that have inspired me to pursue this life, of basking in the glory of nature and my drive to save it.

Anyway... that's my first example of over exceeding my word limit. This was meant to be a brief introduction.

If anyone in the troposphere that happens upon my blog, that wants to explore a subject further or wants ideas to involve kids in nature, then please, let me know. I would be happy to help! 

If anyone is interested about volunteering or would like to know more about the experiences I've had, please check out voluntearthling.blogspot.co.uk !!!


Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment